SEARCHING FOR MODERATORS

Like us on our official FaceBook page

Why do you still use phpBB 3.1 / 3.0?

What you think about the forum

Why do you still use phpBB 3.1 / 3.0?

Postby Last Man Standing » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:29 pm

I, for one, do not like 3.2 and 3.3.
Also, I already configured my boards, installed MODifications and work hard to make them run the way I like. I am not starting all over.
No PM's
Last Man Standing
administrator
administrator

phpBB version: unspecified
Reputation point: 0

Re: Why do you still use phpBB 3.1 / 3.0?

Postby Zack » Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:05 am

I don't know how to upgrade,
I never bothered to learn how to do it,
I set my forum up many years ago and we still have over 200 daily active members,
No point in updating a forum that works absolutely fine and does exactly what it was intended to do,
Many people will brag about how they always keep their forum up to date, you will look at their forum and see they only have about 6 members,
I focus on attracting members and making sure there is lots of quality content and well organised forums,
If I had a forum for a year and only managed to get 5 members I would close it down as it's just a waste of time and bucks.
Zack

Postby Silver Surfer » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:08 pm

I was admin (but not founder) of an Italian forum phpBB2 which had about 700,000 subscribers but many almost permanent guests; then i have been making phpBB3 Olympus forums since the first RC released.
Having heavily modified the core, using a personal style, adapted from IKA's Glacier, I was never interested in Ascareus, having understood from the beginning that the extensions were conceived based on misinterpreted documentation. Not to mention the adopted third party framework ( Symfony ) that assumed other malfunctions.
You should know that in the seven years of Olympus development, security or non-security corrections were made to the code, in such an amount that in the development of Ascareus it was reached in just the first 60 days.
Someone try to prove me wrong!
Then history is history Rhea had to leave prematurely to limit the damage already done: in substance she was an Ascareus patched up at best; I don't express myself on Proteus, because by now I was busy making Olympus updated.
So I put Vjacheslav Trushkin's responsive style, Artodia Deluxe, personally updating it to 3.0.14.
I eliminated the code of 3.0.14 preparatory to the update to Ascareus ( few lines of code in all )
I used Dion's genius method to upgrade the filesystem to be functional for PHP 8.1.
I got a lot of interesting hacks from Dion: total emoji management, Argon2id Password Hashing, Ajax everywhere, I already had alphabetical indexes of customized pages, etc. etc.
Now I find myself a very fast forum, despite being on a shared server, which doesn't need updates, which has MODs that even now phpBB 3.3 and also phpBB 4 Dev I see that they don't have.
The only gripe I have is that for now I can't use Arcade Games which with PHP 5.6 worked wonderfully with Flash, recalling the sandbox made available by Ruffle for webmasters.
But I do not despair of succeeding soon.
Silver Surfer

Postby Last Man Standing » Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:15 am

I would be interested in posting flash games on one of my other forums.
Can you help?
No PM's
Last Man Standing
administrator
administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:32 pm

Ma usando una arcade games?
Io con php7 ho dovuto disinstallarla.
Ma era una Arcade che non aggiornavo dal 2009.
Il flash in se di gestisce facilmente aggiungendo una sola riga di codice in overall_header.tpl
Silver Surfer

Quick Reply

This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

Hide Quick Reply

Return to Feedback